Saturday, February 25, 2017

Engaging Test Prep


How do you prepare students for a test at the end of a big unit?  In the past I have played "Jeopardy" type games, used study guides, vocabulary bingo, etc...However, the best method that I have found to help students prepare for tests is by doing a scavenger hunt.

I prepare the scavenger hunt by creating cards to hide around the room.  These cards can be used in a few different ways.  They could contain questions that the students have to answer, or there could be a little blurb on each card that the students will read to find the answer to the question on their recording sheet.  I pass out the answer sheets and explain the rules to my students.  The first and most important rule of scavenger hunting is "NO TALKING!"  I want my students to be able to answer these questions on their own.  The second rule is absolutely no running...because we all know how competitive kids get!

I usually have each student grab a clipboard so they can walk around and answer on their sheets.  Once I give the signal they are off!  When they have finished answering their questions they will have the answers checked by me.  I will mark wrong answers with an "X" and the students need to go back and correct them.

Sometimes I do award prizes (think homework pass).  I have awarded prizes two different ways.  Sometimes I award prizes to the first few students who get the answers correct.  Other times I will award it to the first few students who get the answers correct on the first try.  This allows different kids to get prizes.

This is such a motivator for the students and it keeps them engaged the entire time!  Since I started reviewing for tests this way I have noticed an increase in achievement on end unit tests!  What test prep ideas do you find most successful?

1 comment: